What is Partition Magic?
Partition Magic is originally developed by PowerQuest Corporation but now owned by Symantec. It is one of the best-known hard disk drive partition management programs which lets you quickly and easily resize, move, merge partitions on your hard disk without destroying existing data. Partition Magic will make your hard disk more efficient and provide greater security for your data.
Partition Magic Compatibility: Supported Operating Systems
Will Partition Magic run on your Operating System? After being tested, Partition Magic supports the following Operating Systems:
- Windows 95
- Windows 98
- Windows Me
- Windows NT 4.0 Workstation
- Windows 2000 Professional
- Windows XP SP1
The compatibility issue is a huge disadvantage of Partition Magic. It can not run on Windows Vista or the latest Windows 7. Besides, Partition Magic is not compatible with Windows NT, 2000, 2003 or 2008 Server editions. To handle these systems, you need to turn to Partition Magic Alternatives
Partition Magic Main Features
- Resize/merge partitions freely with the data security
- Copy/move/delete/create partitions are easily to realize
- Organize disk and protect valuable data
- Versatile BootMagic features provides easily method to switch between different OSs
- Helpful browser helps users directly find the target files
- USB 2.0, USB 1.1, and FireWire external drives supported
- FAT, FAT32, NTFS and Linux Ext2/Ext3/Swap file systems are all supported
- Convert partitions among FAT, FAT32, and NTFS file systems
- Better management with the multiple operating systems
- Help resizes NTFS system clusters
- All the pending operations can be reviewed before changes effect
- Compatible with Windows 98/Me/NT/2000/XP
- Create and modify partitions up to 300GB when partition is less than 90%
Partition Magic Editions History
- Partition Magic 3.0 was released by PowerQuest in 1997
- Partition Magic 4.0 was released by PowerQuest in 1999
- Partition Magic 5.0 was released by PowerQuest in Apr 2000
- Partition Magic 6.0 was released by PowerQuest in Dec 2000
- Partition Magic 7.0 was released by PowerQuest in 2001
- Partition Magic 8.0 was released by PowerQuest in 2002
Symantec purchased Partition Magic from PowerQuest on December 5, 2003. Since Partition Magic 8.0.5 was released by Symantec on May 5, 2004, there has not been a new release, and Symantec has stated that it has no plans on releasing a new version. On December 8, 2009, Symantec website states, "Sorry, we no longer offer Norton Partition Magic."
Partition Magic Alternatives
As mentioned above, since Partition Magic can not run on most of Operating systems and Symantec has discontinued Partition Magic, you need to find a replacement for Partition Magic - Partition Assistant.
>>For Windows 8 and 8.1, Windows 7, Vista, XP and 2000 Professional
Pro Edition: works well on 32-bit & 64-bit systems and for business usage.
>>For Windows Server 2000, 2003, 2008, 2012
Server Edition: all-in-one Partition Magic Server software for Windows Server 2000/2003/2008 users.
>>For SMBs, Large Enterprise Users, Colleges and Organizations
Unlimited Edition: it functions exactly like Server Edition, only it can be used on multi-machines within one company or organization to save money.
>>For Technical Services Providers
Technician Edition: it is designed for system administrators, IT professionals, technician and consultants to offer technical services to multiple clients.